Walter Lippmann said: “When distant and unfamiliar and complex things are communicated to great masses of people, the truth suffers a considerable and often a radical distortion. The complex is made over into the simple, the hypothetical into the dogmatic, and the relative into an absolute.”
We live in a society in which we are often forced to dilute our intellect to accommodate the lowest common denominator. We live in a world in which complex ideas are chipped away into terribly simple ones because the general public is unwilling to stretch their brains in order to understand something outside their small, carefully constructed world.
Unfortunately, this dumbing down often leads to misunderstandings. There are so many important issues in our world that need to be thought about carefully, one of which is the oft mentioned “War on Women.” The Left in the United States constantly bring up the GOP’s supposed “War on Women.”
The Liberal talking point is that Conservatives want to “tell women what to do with their bodies,” that they want to “force women back into the kitchen.” There are numerous lines used by the Left to try to legitimize this invented war. And because our society lowers every issue into the gutter of the “lowest common denominator,” lines are all we hear: talking points. The Left capitalizes on this, using slogans and small truth-twists to manipulate the masses.
In the following segment, I will break down both sides of the “War on Women.”
What Liberals say:
1. Conservatives want women to revert to 1950’s stereotypes, serving men as masters.
2. Conservatives don’t want women in control of their healthcare, they want men in control of womens’ healthcare.
3. Conservatives couldn’t care less about the suffering of rape victims and victims of incest.
4. Conservatives want to force upon women the burden of an unwanted child.
5. Men shouldn’t have any say in abortion law.
Those are the basics that you will hear coming out of the mouths of Liberals in reference to the “War on Women.”
What Conservatives say:
1. Conservatives want to protect the lives of unborn children, which means abolishing abortion, except in cases in which the life of the mother would be in jeopardy. In that case, it is up to the woman, the doctor and the family to decide what to do.
2. Conservatives believe that life begins at conception because all of the genetic material exists upon the union of egg and sperm. After conception, what is developing inside a woman’s body is a human being. This human being is developing in the same way that a flower seed develops after being planted and watered. A sprout emerges from the seed, but remains underground until it can breach the surface. Does the fact that the flower hasn’t yet breached the surface mean that it isn’t alive? Does it make it any less of a flower? No, it is simply in one stage of development. We, as human beings, are continuously in stages of development; a two year old isn’t as developed as a ten year old. Does that mean that a two year old is less human? No. So why is an infant inside the womb considered less human that one outside of the womb? Why do seconds matter? Why is one doctor in prison for severing the spinal chord of an infant seconds after birth, and another doctor is praised for severing the head of an infant just before birth? Is a flower not a flower until it blooms?
3. Conservatives do care about the suffering of victims of rape and incest. However, we also care about the suffering of the unborn. The fact that an infant is a result of an atrocious crime doesn’t make it any less human, it doesn’t make it terminable. In addition, Conservatives don’t believe that taking the life of an unborn child will change history; it will not erase the pain of the crime committed against a woman. Finally, only 6% of abortions are a result of rape, incest, and threats to the lives of mothers, 94% are elective. The Left wants us to believe that 99% of abortions are because of trauma. That is what is known as lying.
4. Conservatives don’t want to force a child upon anyone. There are plenty of couples that would happily adopt an unwanted child. Just because you don’t want a child doesn’t mean you are allowed to kill it.
5. As a man, I have just as much of a right to discuss abortion as a woman does. I said it. I don’t have to cut off my own hand to know it’s a bad idea; I don’t have to be black to stand against segregation. The human mind is capable of an understanding and an empathy that is far reaching.
This “War” is a lie. The issue of abortion and contraception is exceedingly complex, and to reduce it to sloganeering and talking points is dangerous and irresponsible. But that is what the Left wants. The Left knows that the lowest common denominator will respond to slogans. The Left also knows that if abortion were to be talked about intellectually, and in an open arena, they would lose the debate. They need slogans and chants, talking points and screaming spokespeople.
Don’t allow the truth to be radically distorted. Don’t be afraid of reality. The “War on Women” is an absolute lie, and if we sit back and accept the dumbed down version of life, simply because we are too lazy to think, we are contributing to the slaughter of millions, and the further lowering of our national intelligence.